So… the strike never happened and we’ve all been working/researching away. Not many exciting things happened to me in the second half of Novermber because after I took the monthly measurements and hacked away the treefall, I spent the next two weeks working on grad school applications and didn’t get outside very much, despite the fact that I live in the rainforest. It was a mild form of torture. On the plus side, I had lots of fun hanging out with Roxana (another ant researcher) and the Sarahs (Sarah C is Jesus’ assistant; I still need to introduce you to her). We also had a Thanksgiving party!
All of us gringos decided to cook Thanksgiving dinner for the Peruvians. When they heard that we’d be cooking, they seemed a bit worried. We noticed that several of them went to Boca Amigos in the afternoon… perhaps for a pre-dinner snack, in case our cooking didn’t live up to Peruvian standards? But we actually did a pretty darn good job, if I do say so myself. On the menu:
Tandoori chicken in spicy yogurt sauce* by Mini
Stuffing by Sarah F and Gideon
Apple-onion-honey chutney by Sarah F
Pineapple-carrot-cabbage-raisin-vinagrette salad by Sarah F and Gideon
Cornbread by Sarah C
Mashed potatoes by Iona
Araza suspiro (an amazingly delicious Limenaen custard-like dessert) by Roxana
Sweet potato pie by yours truly
(*We didn’t have turkey, so we decided to go all-out and be completely non-traditional with the chicken.)
All of the cooks were Indians… which I suppose makes the Peruvians the Pilgrims? We used strips of pink lab tape and macaw feathers to make Indian headdresses. :) I will upload photos eventually, but the internet is so bad here right now that you'll just have to wait with baited breath.
Update: no one else is online and I have the internet all to myself. Mwahahaha photos photos!

No comments:
Post a Comment