Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Jesus

Nickname: Diablo (“Devil”)
Age: 30s?
(Portrait brought to you by Gabe.)

Jesus is the operations manager of CICRA. He sets the boat schedule, orders the food, and oversees all the other myriad tasks that keep the station running smoothly. He’s also an extremely competitive volleyball player. If you’re on his team and you miss the ball (which I do frequently), he’ll give you a glare that could melt ice… but then he’ll break into a big grin, and no matter how bad a player you are, he still always wants you to come out and play.

Random fact: Diablo’s favorite drink is cachaca (a Brazilian liquor made from fermented sugarcane). Once, on the night before he left for a trip, I was walking back to my cabin and I found him, Marco and Pluma sitting in the dark on the bleachers next to the soccer field. They were throwing Jesus a mini-farewell. They invited me, Sarah and Adrian (who were also passing by) to join them. We shared a bottle of cachaca under the stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment